Promoting Student Engagement
Engaging youngsters in their work is a key factor in improving achievement. The following resources will offer you some ideas on how to engage your students through research-based instructional practices and classroom management strategies.
Building Engagement Through Improved Instructional Practice
- The Basics – Not all forms of engagement are equal. The Schlechty Center on Engagement defines the five basic levels of engagement and the implications of each, as well as promoting design qualities to increase student engagement and achievement.
- Not Just for Biology – This article provides 21 instructional strategies shown to improve student engagement and support classroom equity – for students at every grade level. The article focuses on teaching and learning Biology, but the strategies are applicable to all content.
- From Good to Great? – Watch this video of how an Eighth Grade ELA teacher improves student engagement and the pacing of his lesson based on his own reflections and the input of his evaluator and coach. His lesson plans are included for your consideration.
- Rounding Up the Resources – This “Resource Roundup” from Edutopia offers a well-curated collection of articles, tips, videos and other resources to help you identify practices to improve student engagement in your classroom.
- More Than Hands-On Activities – True active engagement requires both minds-on and hands-on approaches. Explore this webpage to find strategies that promote active learning with both rigor and high levels of student engagement.
Improving Engagement Through Improved Classroom Management
- Tricks of the Trade – Classroom environments can support or constrain high levels of student engagement. View these brief videos to see how other teachers use time-honored and research-based tricks of the trade to manage their classrooms for learning.
- Classroom Management Resource Guide – Some student behaviors interfere with teaching and learning and present obstacles to full engagement. Review some of the guide’s suggested strategies and practices to address classroom management trouble spots.
- Ten Useful Strategies – The Southern Regional Education Board has compiled ten strategies for creating and maintaining high performance classroom environments that focus on student achievement.